At Rustic Pathways, we strive to empower students through innovative and responsible travel experiences to positively impact lives and communities around the world.
Our Gap Year programs provide our students with opportunities to develop global perspectives, empathy, communication skills, leadership ability, and self-awareness. We believe these elements are essential parts of a complete education.
There are inherent risks in international travel, and our programs are no exception. Individual students have varying expectations and levels of comfort. The Essential Eligibility Criteria is provided to help students and their families understand the nature of our programs and the extent of the physical, mental, and emotional challenges, so that they may make informed decisions as to whether to pursue enrollment. It is not a complete list of qualifications, but it does provide a starting point for deciding whether our programs are a good fit.
In addition to the following eligibility requirements, we ask that gap year students recognize and abide by our expectations for conduct.
To participate in any of our Gap Year programs, students must fulfill the following requirements. Students must…
1. Be 17-22 years old for Service & Exploration and Spanish Immersion programs and 18-23 years old for Rustic Internships.
2. Have graduated from high school or can provide official documentation from their high school stating that they have fulfilled all graduation requirements.
3. Not require regular therapy or psychiatric consultations during programs.
4. Not be legally adjudicated or on probation.
5. Read, understand, and follow written and verbal instruction given by our staff and activity providers in English.
6. Openly and constructively communicate with program staff and fellow students.
7. Self-manage personal health and wellbeing, including medication or medical treatment, nutrition, allergies, hydration, and emotions.
8. Exercise tolerance and respect toward people of various cultures, religions, ethnicities, genders, and nationalities.
9. Cope with various environmental challenges such as heat, cold, altitude, precipitation, dust, insects, and other elements specific to each program.
10. Independently assess conditions, identify hazards, and act appropriately to avoid danger.